Sunday, June 24, 2012

Roxy Bedroom Makeover for $100

Samantha's room has been a play room, and then her nursery, and then a play room again, and then her room again. We decorated it once when it was her nursery. We have changed it around many, many times. 


When it was a play room we put two row of hooks along the length of one wall for the children to hang their costumes. Later, when she moved back into the room in preparation for Matthew's birth, we took the hooks out but never quite got around to taking out the drywall screw holder-thingys (and yes, that is the technical term - hee hee).





We used to have a guinea pig named Lenny. Lenny used to reach outside his cage and scratch up the pink rosebud wallpaper border. Eventually he dug out a decent size hole in the wall. 


Samantha, age 7, has been complaining that her room was too little girlish. She said, "Princess is for little girls and I'm a big girl now."




It became apparent that we were going to have to redecorate her room.

I wanted to do something that would reflect Samantha's personality, something she would take pride in and hopefully be more inclined to take care of it. 

Ever since she was just teeny tiny, Samantha has LOVED the water! She has always been a little fish, a California girl at heart. So, we went with that.

Samantha has been asking to paint her bedroom walls for a few months now. I had an idea of what I wanted to do, something my sister did when she was a teenager.

We had some time between my husband's school semesters. However, we did not have much money to spend. We spent about $100, and this is how it turned out.


We found "Be True" bedding by Roxy for $50. Isn't it cute? I just love the colors! 



My husband made the headboard. It's just plywood with some bamboo sticks framing it. I found bamboo placemats in the dollar section at Target and we glued them to fill in the headboard. Not bad for $12, huh?


I bought some grass skirts at the dollar section of Target and used them as a dust ruffle. 



I just realized that you haven't even seen the other wall. Check it out!


I saw a post from USA Silly Yaks on Pinterest about a flip flop wreath. It was so cute and would go perfectly in Samantha's room except for one thing - what seven year old wants a wreath in her room? Then it hit me - I'll use flip flops to make a cross to hang over her bed. Add a couple of scrapbooking embellishments that I already had and wa-la!



So, what do you think? If you knew me you'd know that I am NOT a decorator at all and that this is a pretty big deal for me. 

Personally, I love it. Her room is very relaxing now. In fact, it makes me wonder - what do you think my hubby would say if I got Roxy bedding in our room? :-)


2 comments:

  1. He might have the same reaction that my husband did when he went out of town for the week of my birthday. He came home to a pink bedroom, but eventually he realized that his eyes were going to be closed when he was in the room, so he just didn't care. That was about 8 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like it! Plus, I could always tell him that Sebastian has a pink room too so don't feel bad. :-)

    ReplyDelete