Sunday, January 16, 2011

You have how many kids?!

I once heard Dr. Voddie Baucham say that "a fruitful vine" is not the attitude in America. It's more like "a boy for me and a girl for you and praise the Lord we're finally through." He went on to say that even in the church it like if you are pregnant with baby #4 or 5 or 6 people start having prayer meetings for you. "Oh God,
please deliver her from this oppression."

Within the past week or so I have been honored with three people making comments to me about how many kids I have and basically that I need to be done now (with a certain inference that I should've been done before this pregnancy).

My children are 8, 6, and 2 years old. I hate the terrible two's. Ok, not really. I loge watching them learn and hearing the sudden explosion in vocabulary. Bu the messes and declarations of self-will - I am pretty tired of that. With that said, I love having kids and I personally enjoy the nay-sayers. I also feel a little sad for them. I'm not suggesting that everyone have four children (although I'd be tickled pink if my brother and sister did because I love being an aunt). But it is sad to think that the joy of four children can actually baffle people. I just have to wonder what their parenting experience is. Is the blessing of a home filled with laughter really that inconceivable to them?! How can that be?!

Whenever someone else gets pregnant in my MOPS group there are always a few ladies that comment that they are sooo glad it is not them. And each time I hear a comment like that I wonder if I will ever feel that way. We are pretty much out of room here - six people in 1000 sq ft and a rainy climate. Also, I am not exactly a spring chicken anymore. But with my fourth on the way I can honestly envision a time where I am going to be sad that I am done having children - a kind of longing for something I can't have. How can some people find having four kids so unimaginable and I find only have four kids a little sad?!

Anyway, I am blessed. I am blessed and I am gratef and I love all of my blessings - including the one in bedwho is going to wake me before dawn tomorrow, the one who is wiggling next to me right now, the one who has been having a major attitude problem lately, and the one fluttering in my tummy.

1 comment:

  1. Is it OK when I say I'm glad it's not me? I'm still ahead of you, you know.

    ReplyDelete